What causes severe ear pain after tooth extraction?

I had a lower left molar tooth pulled last monday.For the first few days, other than soreness, I was OK. By Thusday I started getting sharp stabbing pain in my left ear. I have expereineced this before and was told by an ENT doctor that I had silent reflux. I have taken nexeium for the last three days put the pain is still intense. I saw the dentist today and told him about the pain. He gave me a perscription for Motrium 800mg. Question is, is my pain related to tooth being pulled or is it back to reflux. I am truly suferring with pain. Motrium has not helped yet.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to left molar. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The pain in the left ear that is sharp and shooting is likely to be a referred pain due to the left molar that was extracted. It can be due to the pressure on the nerves caused by a hematoma formation in the area. This pain usually subsides with pain killers and a hot fomentation in the area. Do continue taking motrium three times a day after meals. In case the pain is persistent after three days and any visible swelling is seen then do consult your dentist for a physical examination. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes severe ear pain after tooth extraction? 15 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer. The pain has stopped by the time I took the second Motrum. One question, What do you mean when you say to apply hot fomentation in the area? Do you mean to hold hot water in my mouth or apply heat to the outside of my cheek and ear? Also if a hematoma formation is in the area, is this something that will go away? Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do both. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can apply heat both the ways. If it is a hematoma then it will gradually subside on its own in 7-10 days. Please do not worry. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards