What causes severe chest pain on my right side after pneumonia treatment?

Dec 2012

The day after Christmas, I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Flu/pneumonia. I stayed home for 6 days and then went back to work on a Thursday, only to end up back in the doctor's office the following Tuesday with double pneumonia/bronchitis. I stayed home 5 days and went back to the doctor Tuesday for accelerated heart rate along with dizziness and weakness. Was given medicine because my potassium was low from the antibiotics. Now, 6 days later - I woke up with terrible chest pain on my right side. Its constant and hurts when I breath deep and move. I have missed so much work already - any idea what this new pain in my chest is?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Still believes it is pneumonia Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX It seems to me that you have not been completely cured from the pneumonia. From this point, I will recommend you get a chest x-ray to actually get the confirmation it is pneumonia or lung diseases. If you are feeling chest pain plus symptoms of flu, then it is evident that you have a respiratory tract infection and most probably pneumonia. If you had taken antibiotics just for a few days, got some relief then symptoms came back shortly after, then it must be that the treatment did not go to completion. My recommendation is that you should go back to your doctor or be referred to a pulmonologist. There you will get a chest scan, confirm or rule out pneumonia or other lung diseases, and then be placed on a course of antibiotics and this time around should go for about 10 days. I usually associate this with steroid antiinflammatory such as prednisolone. The recommended antibiotics for pneumonia is amoxicillin-clavulinic acid combination. Others for atypical pneumonia should be considered if this proves in effective. Persistent respiratory tract infection despite treatment with antibiotics requires investigating for atypical pneumonia. Hope this helps and if you any further questions, please feel free to ask. Dr. Nsah