What causes severe breathlessness when suffering from high blood pressure?

hi doctor my 24 year old sister having severe berathlessness while she crying.blood pressure high during this time.(above 160/ past record of hypertesion and asthama.plz give me a reply
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: you have nothing to worry about. Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to XXXXXXX Blood pressure can increase during emotional stress like crying, even when there is no history of hypertension. This more so happens in people who has the tendency to develop hypertension in future. Coming to your sister's breathlessness, does she have any childhood history of congenital heart diseases? if no, then you need not worry, as it can happen in some individuals. Emotion can trigger autonomic response which can induce spasm of airways, and secretions may pool in the airways resulting in breathlessness in some people. Finally, even if nothing operates, some people who are psychologically upset, can feign breathlessness for sympathy. After all these explanations, i assure that you have nothing to worry about these physiological responses. Hope i am clear. Please feel free to post any further queries. All the best.
Follow-up: What causes severe breathlessness when suffering from high blood pressure? 17 hours later
she feel chest paine also during this time.her Hb:9.what are the precation i have to take?
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: All she needs is good diet Detailed Answer: hi, Chest pain may be ignored for the same reason. All she needs is good diet, rich in iron like green leafy vegetables. I would also recommend her to take iron supplementation for her hemoglobin to shoot up. That will certainly improve her well being. All the best.