What causes severe bleeding in an A-V shunt?

Hello! what clinical indications should a nurse know that can contribute to severe bleeding in an A-V shunt?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later
Hi Pacita,

I am not able to fully understand your question.

If you can supply me with further details like the point of view from which the question is asked.
1. You wanna know how can a nurse control A-V shunt bleeding.
2. You wanna what causes severe A-V shunt bleeding

I am explaining it from the lines of what you should do in case of an A-V shunt bleed.

Immediate compression on the bleeding area, maintained by pressure provided by either a thumb or a tight bandage around the bleeding site is necessary. Pressure anywhere else will only serve to increase bleeding from the fistula site.

Sudden bleeding can be life-threatening and must therefore not be neglected.

Hope I have answered your query. If not write back to me with more details so that i can answer you better.