What causes severe bleeding during periods?

Hi doctor My partner is 32 yrs old mother for 2 kids . in the last few moths she started to face irregular and heavy period its some time droping as a cut of liver in size of a tennis ball . no pain no she has only pain on the left and right side or her neck before and during the period . any advice ?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX From your history it seems she is having very severe bleeding during periods, which is clinically known as menorrhagia. Kindly reply few questions so that I can guide you further: 1)Are you using any contraceptive methods or undergone sterilization? 2)Does she have any associated severe pain during menstruation? 3)Is there any associated complaints like heat or cold intolerance or any thyroid problems? 4) or any other relevant present or previous medical history? 5)Has she undergone any PAP smear examination before? Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further. Awaiting your response. Regards Arif
Follow-up: What causes severe bleeding during periods? 1 hour later
no undergone methods or contraciptives no pain no medical history for any issues feel some heat before period we doubted thyriod and did attached exam but shows normal no pap test has been done Hi dr any advice. Regards
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 18 hours later
Brief Answer: She needs clinical examination and scan Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question,your partners thyroid function is normal. So I feel she needs a clinical examination mainly a per-speculum examination to check for any cervical lesion and for taking PAP smear, then an internal examination to know the uterine size. To correlate the clinical examination findings it is advisable to get a scan pelvis to know any utrine pathologies like Adenomyosis or Fibroid uterus . So depending on the findings treatment can be planned. As she is having heavy bleeding it is also important to check her haemoglobin levels, she might need haematenics (iron preparation). For similar complaints I usually give my patients tranexamic and mefenamic acid combination drug to decrease the flow as a temporary measure. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Follow-up: What causes severe bleeding during periods? 4 hours later
Hi Dr thank you for your advice . last thing would you please advice the test name we might need to do in the ladoratory . this will make our need clear and fast. iwill gladly proceed with accept to our discusion. thanx alot and best regards
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Complete haemogram. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the follow up question. Regarding the laboratory test, she needs blood investigation like complete haemogram. This is the main basic investigation presently required. There is no need to repeat the thyroid test. Other investigations deemed necessary are: PAP smear, scan pelvis (endometrial thickness--may required to undergo biopsy if required). I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it. Thank you, Wish you good health. Regards, Dr Arif You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW