What causes severe abdominal pain just below sternum?

Hello...I have a few questions 1 st my daughter has struggle off and on with various health problems such as reactive hypoglycaemia, candida, adrenal insufficiency, pms, and from time to time upper abdominal pain just below the sternum. The pain can be quite severe i had taken her into emergency a couple of times and they have found nothing (by the time we get to the emergency room her pain is gone though ). The only way she is able the get relief is to push deeply in that area and press downward. I have to do this over and over again until we hear a gurgling or a swish then she gets pain relief and is usually weak and tired after. This would happened periodically and this is what we've done to manage pain as well as taking clove oil or oil of oregano. The past couple of weeks my husband has experience very similar stomach pains as my daughter as well as nausea and sometimes vomiting. Any kind of exertion he will feel get stomach pain and get very week and tired. I also have developed the weak and tiredness no pain however but have passed yellow stool and and yellow vomit on an empty stomach. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: GERD, Peptic ulcer, AGE or Food Poisoning. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Your daughter might be suffering from Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease ( GERD). The pain is due to the acid reflex from the stomach to the lower end of esophagus. Due to repeated acid reflex, she may have inflammation in in esophagus called Esophagitis. If she is my patient, i will give him a Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole with domperidione for the first two weeks. If still she have the pain, then i will refer her for Upper GI endoscopy and Urea Breath test for H.Pylori bacteria. If the Scope shows any inflammation or ulcer, i will treat accordingly. Your Husband might have peptic ulcer. This means he may have the ulcer in stomach or duodenum. Any stressful situation can increase the acid secretion in stomach and this lead abdominal pain and nausea as well as vomiting. You have to know that yellow vomiting and yellow stool is very normal of it is for few days. It is more commonly by Acute Gastro enteritis. It is due to the infection of the gut. This is nothing to worry about. Please take plenty of water and electrolyte powder to compensate the water loss by vomiting and stool. Request your daughter and husband to avoid spicy foods. Avoid any oily and greasy foods. Do not skip meals specially breakfast. Try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.