What causes several yellow bumps which appear like small infected pustules around my anus ?

May 2014

I have had an Itchy anus for a couple months now. About 2 weeks ago, I took a photo as it wasn't going away so I could see if I had a hemorrhoid. I have never had issues with my anus before. It appeared very purple and sphincter seemed swollen. I began using preparation H in case that would help. It did not and I then noticed I had a lesion which I believed to be a fissure near the top of my anus. I dealt with the fissure by taking sitz baths. The purpleness has subsided but now I have several yellow bumps which appear like small infected pustules about 1mm in diameter on my anus. I am a straight and married male. I have not been with another woman for several years. I can provide original photo as well as one with pustules. I plan on going to my gp but am worried.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: ?Pin worms with hemorrhoids Detailed Answer: HiXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. You may be suffering from pin(thread)worm infection and you can also have hemorrhoids. A detailed clinical examination will confirm and you might need few investigations like stool examination (routine and microscopic). You can take anti parasitic medications like Mebendazole and must follow strict hygiene measures for up to six weeks. Treatment along with good hygiene is the only way to prevent eggs from spreading and re-infection. You should thoroughly wash your bathroom and kitchen.You should also wash your hands regularly,particularly after going to the toilet and before mealtimes. Please avoid scratching the affected area to prevent re-infection and reduce the risk of the infection spreading to other people. Hemorrhoids can be confirmed by clinical examination.You may need digital examination for confirmation. Mild to moderate stage are treated by increasing fiber intake,oral fluids for maintaining hydration, NSAIDs for pain relief. Surgery for hemorrhoids should be done for those who fail to improve with these measures. Constipation should be avoided and avoid straining during defecation. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: What causes several yellow bumps which appear like small infected pustules around my anus ? 41 minutes later
Sorry about the graphic photos. First one with pustules looking things is today. Other one is a few weeks ago. In case this affects proposed diagnosis. How would I have gotten pin worm infection?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. Itching in the anal is usually because of thread worms in the area. This is transmitted by poor hygiene by the oral route. In the presence of itching and pustules the disease can be candidiasis, fungal infections or scabies. There can also be secondary bacterial infection in the region. Your disease is in the early stages and can easily be treated by medications. The hemorrhoid needs to be confirmed by a surgeon though. I suggest a detailed clinical examination with an opinion from a dermalogist if necessary. Please do not worry. Wishing you good health. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek