What causes sever nasal congestion?

ENT Specialist
Query is related to my son who is 13weeks old who has been diagnosed with silent reflux and a cows milk protein intolerance. We now appear to be managing the symptoms via specialised milk Nutramigen and also a once a day Omprezole 10mg dose. The problem is my son now has quite severe congestion, he has had it for the past 4 weeks. Doctors will not help and say thats just what babies do. It is disrupting his sleep and sounds awful all day. As the doc was not helpful we had to pay a Paed to help diagnose his problem. We have tried all the classic remedies such as saline drops, humidifier etc etc to no luck. I want to know if this is being caused by the allergy or not and if there is anything we can do about it?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Descriptive Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. The thing is that neonates don't know how to breath through mouth and breath only through nose. So nasal congestion creates problem in neonates. You are saying that your doctors are telling that chest is clear. The breathing is noisy and disrupts sleep also. Also Saline drops and humidifiers are not helping. Usually the saline drops help in decongesting the nose and should give relief for sometime. If this is not the case, please talk to you paediatrician and try to rule out the problems like laryngomalacia and tracheomalacia. These are the conditions which make larynx and trachea weaker and collapsible which can lead to noisy breathing. Other thing which needs to be ruled out is choanal atresia although the possibility is remote. Please try one thing, make the baby lie in chest down position and observe if the noisy breathing goes. This will point towards some collapsibility of upper airways. Also making the baby lie in lateral position helps in congestion. In case nothing helps, there is need to do endoscopic examination of upper airways and this can be done with a pediatric flexible endoscope. Feel free to ask another query. Regards