Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes sensitivity and tenderness along gum line?

Approximately 10 days ago, I began feeling some tenderness and sensitivity along the bottom left gum line where the gum meets the cheek area. I first felt it when washing my face and my fingers brushed across that area of the chin. It doesn't hurt to eat, it's not sensitive to hot or cold, and pressure on the teeth yields no pain. It only hurts when any form of pressure is applied to that particular area. I haven't noticed any swelling or redness, and I maintain good dental hygiene - in fact, I just had a dental cleaning in December. However, I did have a small cavity in the top front tooth which was filled a week after the cleaning. I began experiencing some sensitivity in that tooth saw my dentist again a few weeks ago, as I thought the filling might have fallen out. He told me the filling was fine and he thinks I'm grinding my teeth at night and irritating the tooth, and he prescribed a steroid for that condition. I was unable to tolerate the steroid (Medrol) and he told me to stop taking it after 3 days. The sensitivity in that particular tooth has subsided, but now I'm noticing this sensitivity on the bottom gum. I'm not sure what this could be but I do know it's not something I've felt before.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: this could be infection, bad bite, clenching habit Detailed Answer: Hello there, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum, I understand your concern, pain in the gums can be because of several reasons like infection in the tooth which has spread to the surrounding tissues, plague and calculus deposition, nutritional deficiencies as mentioned clenching or grinding of teeth. It is very nice to hear that you maintain a good oral hygiene and go for professional scaling and polishing, you have also mentioned that there is infected tooth in the area. Another reason could be clenching of teeth, it is a condition in which a person knowingly or unknowingly grind her teeth especially during night. Clenching of teeth occurs because of stress or bad bite. If you are having clenching of teeth it could lead to gum pain, jaw pain, headache, earache, oversensitivity of teeth. As you have mentioned you are prescribed with a steroid for 3 days & sensitivity is subsided i would suggest you to consult to an Orthodontist get your bite examined for an second opinion, also take an OPG radiograph. If clenching of teeth is because of stress then your stress level should be reduced, if it is because of bad bite then the bite can be corrected. Meanwhile you follow the following measures at home; -Avoid any type of stress, anxiety take a sound sleep. -Take lukewarm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. -Take multivitamin suplements and antioxidants. -Temporarily take tab combiflam 500mg for pain relief. Hope you find this as helpful, Wishing you a healthy recovery, Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.