What causes seizures in children when suffering from Kawasaki disease?

Hi, I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease at the age od 3 1/2 months. Unfortunately he was misdiagnosed and ended up with giant aneurysms 8mm on his heart. He's in good health but we have concerns about his heart. Currently he is a second grader and is having some learning issues. His teachers say that he kind of zones out. I find him to be ADHD (my husband and older child have been diagnosed) > My question is, is there a chance that he is having small seizures that are causing the zoned out look. At times he seems like he has trouble remembering. As time goes on, I understand that with Kawasaki disease things may present themselves more and more because of the damage from the illness. Could there be a possibility of seizure and why don't Dr.'s check other areas for aneurysms with Kawasaki's....why just the heart? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get him investigated for absence seizures! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what your child went through leading up to the diagnosis of Kawasaki and the heart aneurysm he suffered. I am however happy to know he is doing a lot better now and things seems to be improving. The description of his symptoms are typical for kids with absence seizures. These are kids who get blank and totally disconnected with themselves and the environment, have no record of it and pick up after a few seconds from where they left like nothing happened. For instance, they can miss out on an entire sentence during a dictation exercise and have no idea about it. The symptoms of your child and more so from the teacher are very concerning for this. We have tests that can be done to diagnose this condition. I will suggest that you get him consulted and evaluated for this. he may need an EEG(recording of the brain's activity) and a CT scan to see the structure of the brain. depending on the preliminary information, a management plan would be established and followed through. I always recommend starting with the family doctor and getting referrals if need be. If new symptoms should arise which suggest and aneurysm, the doctors will look for. rarely would we go looking for aneurysm every where because we found one . All the body is made up of vessels and we need guidance unless we want to go every where which is simply not feasible. I will like you to read this summarised patient friendly version from a trusted site. Follow up with me so that I can address more questions and clarifications with you. WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish your son well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.