What causes seizures and temproray paralysis?

last summer me and my friend was walking to our neighbors well on the walk there i had to stop and i said i feel really weird. well when we got to the neighbors i sat down my friends that were outside with us said i had started talking and just stopped, they said i started to shake and fell to the ground and had a seizure. i was paralyzed i was out for at least 15 minutes. they got me back to our house they said i was awake but dazed out completely. i just remember waking up the next morning with no memory of what happened. well i had a m.r.i. done and there was a cyst on top my head right in the middle. i was later referred to a neurologist, the did eeg test and a few other things. i eventually stopped seeing him, for the past year or two i been having very intense headaches, well about 4 or 5 months ago i took my medicine and was laying in bed, i having one of those intense headaches and i was kind of starting to fall asleep and it was like the back of my eye ball twitched a few times and it lead to this horrible flickering in my brain and i was uncontrollably blinking my eye and head bobbing. i automatically was paralyzed my whole body. and was going in and out of consciousness, fell off my bed on to the floor. i remember trying as hard as i could to get myself back onto my bed. and when i finally came out of it i was terrified went straight to the bathroom to look at myself i didnt look any different but i have been searching trying to find out h\what happened can you help me ? XXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Seizure Vs PusedoSeizure Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. I understand how difficult it is to deal with such attacks. You need to understand there are two things , one is called "Seizure" and the other is "Pseudo seizure". In Pseudo seizures , it's not like that a person is faking, many a times a person is not faking , but his/her mind creates seizure despite of the fact that there in no organic cause or abnormality. So, lets try to differentiate , during the episodes of seizure , did u had tongue bite ever? Any observer told you that you have up rolling of eyes? Have you defecated or urinated during the episode? Since you also had a cyst in your MRI , it is possible that you had a proper seizure. But since your medical history says that you have some psychiatric disorders , so "Pseudo seizure" is also a possibility. I would want you to be evaluated by a neurologist at his office. And I suppose if you had Seizure , you should be started on anti-epileptic medications under your doctor's guidance. Don't disturb your sleep cycle , don't wake till late , don't take alcohol. Wish u good health. I Hope i am able to solve your query , you are welcome for further discussion.
Follow-up: What causes seizures and temproray paralysis? 48 minutes later
The first seizure I had my eye were rolled back and one of them had there hand in my mouth but it was the out of control shaking . But there was no flashing lights or anything and I know I don't have epilepsy but what happened that night that caused me to just fall to the ground. What was the cause of that. And now I kinda feel more crazy that what I already felt before . .how does this psuedo seizure work like I wasn't coherent for the first one I had, how did my brain know what to do? And what was the flickering I felt in my brain. It was loud
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Epilepy can be controlled by medications Detailed Answer: Your first event seems to be seizure and not pseudo-seizure. Therefore the second one might also be related to a seizure. Don't be worried. It can be easily controlled with anti-epileptic drugs. Start them in consultation with your doctor , and follow the precautions I have mentioned previously. You can have a normal life , stop worrying. Just don't stop medications on your own Wish you good health. If you don't have any further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.