What causes secretion of blood, mucus in the feces and diarrhea?

General Surgeon
I have been to emerg and to the walk in clinic and today i saw my doctor - all 3 doctors that I have seen between today and last week have all diagnosed me with different things. Emerg - said Celiac, Clinic - said Colitis and my doctor said I picked up a bug and perscribed me Mint-Ciprofloxacin 500 mg. I have had diarrhea on and off since February 2nd - sometimes it is just like water and other times it is the texture of tooth paste and yellow. There has also been mucus and blood in it or just bright red blood once. What should i do?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. All 3 doctors could not diagnose any of this issues. Its because all this conditions needs to be diagnosed by specific tests which are colonoscopy with biopsy and histopathology for colitis, antibiodies levels and small intestine biopsy for Celiac and stool culture test for so called bug. Your symptoms can be caused by bacterial infection (most probable), some foods intolerance or allergy, partial bowels obstruction due to inflammatory bowels diseases (Crohns disease or Ulcerative Colitis) or even colon cancer (it is hardly possible at your age). I suggest you to have proper diagnostics: 1. Stool test, stool culture test. You may try Rifaximine and probiotic treatment at this point 2. Blood work, liver tests, amylase, lipase, urine amylase, urine analysis, thyroid tests and abdominal ultrasound. 3. Colonoscopy (if there will be no infection in the stool, or if there will be low hemoglobin level in blood work) 4. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.