What causes sciatica?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi I am having acute pain in my left leg till knees starting from hips. I think sciatica... pls suggest the treatment for that.. this pain is since 3 years.. it goes and starts again after some time. it is most disturbing in cold weather... pls guide.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRI is needed to establish the cause of sciatica. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it looks like siatica. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve — which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body. MRI is needed to establish the cause of sciatica, so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Sciatica do respond well to bed rest and analgesics (pain killer) and is right mode of treatment. The definitive treatment depends upon the cause of sciatica. I would suggest you to consult an orthopediac surgeon who may order MRI to determine cause of sciatica (level and degree in case of disc herniation) and may suggest other mode of treatment. After initial few days of bed rest, you needs physiotherapy (exercises). I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes sciatica? 36 minutes later
Can you suggest me the doctor from where I can get my MRI done. basically the ortho doctor if it is required. I live in gurgaon.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer: No much idea of orthopaedician in gurgaon. Detailed Answer: Hi Simerpreet, I am basically practising in Indirapurum Ghaziabad, so I have no much idea of orthopaedician in Gurgaon. Anyway in Gurgaon you can get an MRI done in Medicity under supervision of orthopedician there.
Follow-up: What causes sciatica? 15 minutes later
what would be the approximate cost of MRI and will it come under health insurance claim
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Brief Answer: approx 5ooo-7500 Rs. Detailed Answer: Hi, Cost of MRI would be approx 5ooo-7500 Rs. It will come under health insurance claim after admission only.