What causes scanty periods when on medication for PCOS?

I am taking aldactone tabs 100gm daily for mild hirsutism. And have mild PCOS also for which I am taking Obimet sr 500 100gm twice daily. Along with that I am taking dioluton L ,7 tabs from 21day till 27th day. Before taking all these medicines my period used to be normal for 3 days. But for the last 2 months after I started to take the medecines I m having very scanty period though occuring timely.This month I even noticed spotting at the mid of the month. Pls suggest.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Spotting could be due to the oral pills Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to us. Though regular cycles can happen with PCOD, they are more often anovulatory. The prescription you have been given is apt for the treatment of PCOD. The cause of the scanty period after starting the medication is most likely due to the lowered endometrial thickness. In fact, thick endometrium is a feature of PCOD as the excess action of estrogen leads to endometrial hyperplasia. Irregular menstruation and spotting are side effects of oral pills, i.e., Duoluton L. They are usually observed during the initial phase of treatment for a couple of months or so and usually regress. If you continue to see the irregularity, inform your consultant and change the medication. Please maintain a healthy body weight and get some regular exercise everyday, like skipping, aerobics or yoga. Increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid sweets, fatty foods, fried and baked food and spices. There is a significant improvement observed when these simple measures are followed. Please remember, PCOD is the commonest cause of hormonal imbalance in the reproductive age group today and responds very well to treatment. Hope your query has been answered. Please contact for further information. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.