What causes runny nose and sneezing?

I recently went to the doctor for a sore throat and body aches. I was negative for strep and flu so they said it is some virus and gave me a antibiotic shot just encase because throat looked so bad. Now I have clear nasal runny nose and Alot of sneezing and extreme itching in and around nose. Almost like allergies but I never have has them before and it started with this sickness. Can a virus or cold cause allergy like symtoms like sneezing, itching, runny nose, and heavy eyes? I took a zyrtec but it only helped slightly and made my eyes heavier?? Thanks so much!
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Upper respiratory tract infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like you have an upper respiratory tract infection. Infections can sometimes behave like allergies causing itchy and runny nose. They heavy eyes is because of cetirizine ( Zryrtec), to avoid this side effect you could take the 3 rd generation antihistamine like levocetrizine instead. It has lesser side effects and will not make you drowsy like zrytec. The problem usually resolves by two weeks, if you spike a temperature then I advice you to visit your GP. I hope I was help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards
Follow-up: What causes runny nose and sneezing? 2 hours later
The clear runny nose and itching nose and irrigation of eyes started two days after sore throat and body aches and since its most likely viral related and not allergy since its not allergy season here and I don't have allergies like this long does this usually last..its been 5 days and is it the virus it self that is causing the sneezing and itching nose and irritated eyes? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for getting back It is not the virus itslef that are causing these symptoms, the virus causes a immunological reaction, the body tries to fight these viruses with an inflammatory response causing such symptoms. Viral infections are successfully tackled by our body immune system by 7-10 days however for the inflammation to get better it might take up to two weeks. I hope I was of help Regards