What causes rise in ALT and GGT levels?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My LFT is showing abnormal result, Am I in a danger situation ? can I reverse it back to normal ?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I went through your report. Only your ALT and GGT are raised. They are raised only mildly above the upper limit of normal range. So there is no need to worry. Some of the common causes include non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, alcohol intake and infections like hepatitis B and C. Get an ultrasound scan done to rule out fatty liver. Repeat the liver function test after 4 weeks. If the levels are persistently raised, other tests can be done. If it is due to fatty liver disease, medications and non specific infections, it is reversible. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if i can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What causes rise in ALT and GGT levels? 6 minutes later
My A/G ratio is high and globulin is low. But it was normal a month back Please check my latest report attached today S.Albumin 5.2 N g/dl 3.5 - 5.2 BCG S.Globulin 1.5 L g/dl 1.8 - 3.4 Derived S.A/G Ratio 3.47 H 1 - 2 NA

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, I saw the whole report before posting my answer. We consider only an A/G ratio of less than one as something significant of liver disease. An A/G ratio less than one indicates chronic liver disease and the liver is not able to synthesize albumin. On the other hand a high A/G ratio is not significant. So I did not comment on that. You have only a high ratio and so it is not significant. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini