What causes rib pain with high BP?

I have been having right rib pain for almost 6 months.I also have tachycardia, and blood pressures have been is starting to hurt a little into my chest..I've had my gallbladder removed 8 years not that..what could this be..sometimes feels like I can't breath..
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer: See cardiologist, EKG, X ray, cardiac ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid your rib pain and blood pressure problems might really not be related to a removed gall bladder. Rib pain is a common health condition and its evaluation would require many parameters to be taken into consideration. It is important to know where you experience the pain exactly. In case the pain is around the junction of the ribs with the chest bone (sternum), this would likely be linked to an inflammatory condition called Trietz syndrome, easily treated with steroids. A chest X ray at some point might be very useful. Tarchycardi and blood pressure abnormalities need a critical review. A cardiac ultrasound would be necessary in this context, including a chest X ray and an Electrocardiogramme to know the electrical activity in the heart. Heart malformations and ischemic heart disease, a condition arising from poor blood supply to heart could present as such. An inflammation of the heart surroundings, called pericarditis could also present as such. It is very difficult attributing these symptoms to removal of your gall bladder. In a context of high blood pressure and breathing problems, excluding heart failure is useful. The opinion of a cardiologist, chest x ray, cardiac ultrasound, EKG and a complete clinical review are mandatory initial first steps in the proper evaluation. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain
Follow-up: What causes rib pain with high BP? 16 hours later
I also, have a 5mm nodule in my lung
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Lung CT scan, X ray, EKg, Cardiac ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the update, It might be necessary to get some extra information. A nodule in the lung might not necessary mean cancer. However, it is necessary to know if you got any past history of lung cancer in your family, and if you have any history of chronic smoking. It is very important to distinguish a lung nodule from a lymph node around the lungs, which of course do exist. Clarifications could be offered from a chest CT scan. In case you do have neither a family history of lung disease, nor any active smoking history, a 5mm lung nodule would likely be an enlarged lymph node in the lung region. even viral infections and some bacterial infections could cause these nodes to enlarge. However, a distinguish between an abnormal mass and this could only be offered by a good CT scan coupled with elements from your family, medical and social history. I still think you should get a chest X ray, EKG, cardiac ultrasound , and probably a lung CT scan, after getting a proper clinical review by your internist/cardiologist. Kind regards