What causes rib pain after an asthma attack?

Excellent

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I have asthma and I take a inhaled steroid and I have an inhaler for when I run. I also have the asthma attacks even when im not running. After I have an asthma attack, for a few days my chest hurts and I have to spots under my ribs that really hurt. what is causing this and what can I do to help it?
Posted Tue, 22 Apr 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Spirometry and PEFR. avoid NSAID for pain. Detailed Answer: Hello there, Nice to meet you there, I read your query. As you are experiencing asthmatic symptoms both at rest and exertion, I need you to do a spirometry and PEAK EXPIRATORY FLOW RATE[PEFR], to know the severity of your condition. As you are already on steroids, both the tests I maintained above helps to regularize the dose and drugs for asthma as you are having frequent attacks .so it is mandatory to change the drugs and its dose in order to prevent frequent attacks and increase your condition of health. The pain after the asthmatic attack are mainly due to excess exertion of diaphragm and respiratory muscle [resulting painful ribs and its surrounding regions]. Painkillers have to be used with caution in your condition. Avoid usage of pain killers like aspirin and other NSAIDs, since it worsen the asthmatic condition, but the usage of Tylenol[acetaminophen] and other steroids can be tried under physician supervision to reduce the pain. Try to avoid the causative factor like allergens, which triggers the episode. Visit your treating physician if your symptoms are worsening. Hope helped you, Feel free to ask future queries. Take care. Dr.surendiran.g