What causes repeated mouth ulcers after taking Salazopyrin?

I am taking salazopyrin tablets for Crohns since 2000. I am getting repeated mouth ulcers and it has been suggested that I have probably been on salazopyrin too long and they are the reason for continuous mouth ulcers. What do you think about this Doctor?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible reduced blood counts. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concerns. This medicine may rarely cause a decrease in the normal amounts of blood cells in the blood.repeated mouth ulcer is one of the presentation of this. so you better get your blood counts done. While taking this medicine you should have regular blood tests to monitor your liver function, kidney function, and the levels of your blood component. I usually treat my patient with crohn's with medication only during active duration , once remission starts then medications can be gradually stopped, medications not necessary during remission time. Consult your doctor to know your stage of disease and need of medication. Hope this information helpful to you, feel free to ask further queries. Regards