What causes repeated lung and bladder infections?

I am 82. I had a stroke 5 years ago. This past summer I had double pneumonia but I am okay now although now I am on oxygen. I recently got over 3 bladder infections but I got the chills last night again why could this be if my doctor cleared me on wednesday? XXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please, monitor and get this looked into. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these repeated infections that you have been reporting. What troubles me most is not the fact that you have an infection but how often you have them. With repeated infections, we need to investigate and find out what the most likely favoring factors of these infections are. Infections can be caused be a weakened immune system or local factors that favor the infections in the various organs. For example, bladder infections can be caused by difficult urine flow, urinary stones, back flow of urine to the kidneys fro the bladder, communication with the bowel, etc. So for both the bladder and the kidney infection, all possible contributing factors should be investigated and managed appropriately. If nothing is found to be a possible contributing factor, then it could be linked to the aging of the body as a whole. A single chill would not be very informative. I will suggest that you monitor and see if the chills come around again.If it does, then the origin would need to be investigated and treated appropriately. Though your doctor cleared you of any possible infections 2days ago, it is still possible that you pick up another infection which could be totally unrelated to the current problems or may constitute another recurrence of these ongoing problems. In all, it would be difficult to tell without appropriate assessment what this represents and what the cause is. For now, I will suggest that you monitor, record and report at least another episode of chills to make this very credible. If this should occur, then we would assess you fully to look for possible causes and manage accordingly. I hope this addresses your query fully. If there are any specifics you would have loved that i didn't touch on, I will gladly address them if you should bring them up as follow up questions. I wish you well and thank for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.