What causes repeated episodes of mastistis in the breast?

May 2013
i am 63 years old and suffer from repeated episodes of mastistis in the right breast. fever, body aches, recovery anywhere from 3 to 5 days. what causes this condition in a women my age? The breast specialist was out once she researched and tested to prove it wasn't cancer. she had no solutions for what I have
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly periductal mastitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Frequent cause of non lactating mastitis is periductal mastitis. It can occur due to inflammation of the ducts. Recurrent mastitis can occur due to incomplete treatment, delayed treatment etc in the previous attack. By taking full course of antibiotics, analgesic and anti inflammatory drugs, episode of mastitis can be treated and recurrence can be prevented. If the mastitis repeats even after that, better to rule out rare possibility like inflammatory breast cancer. In case of nonresponding mastitis surgery may be needed. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.