What causes regular muscle spasms in the body?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi, I have been having some Reflux problems of late. I have been on PPI's (lansoprazole) for about 4 years. Symptoms are normally controlled. I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia and gastritis last year. A few weeks ago I began to get the pain under my sternum after I ate. I also had generalised tenderness around my ribs and chest area. Then over a period of a couple of days I had that 'cant swallow/lump in throat' feeling. I was regurgitating food etc. Round about this time I developed a strange vibrating/buzzing sensation on my left side, which feels like it worst about 10cm directly below my armpit. It was especially noticeable will sitting at my desk or why trying to sleep. It is only on my left side. It is tender to the touch in that area. The vibrating stopped after 3 solid days. I went to the doctor and changed my PPI's to Pantoprazole 40 to clear the esophagus symptoms. Now after a couple of days the vibrations are back, although it has moved closer to the bottom of my ribs/underneath ribs on the left side. Added to this are more regular muscle spasms in other areas of the body. Also, I have been experiencing strange pin prick like burning sensations all over. Could this be muscular, neurological, related to relux/hernia or perhaps calcium/magnesium deficiency due to over use of PPI's. Thanks
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Endoscopy and blood test will help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated. Following investigations will be helpful :- 1. Endoscopy. 2. Serum electrolytes. I would also advise that you should take Domperidone 30mg along with your antacid. This will help you in relieving your symptoms. Cause of your symptoms and medical management can be planned after knowing your reports. Also get yourself clinically examined by a Gastroentologist. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Regards. Thanks.