What causes reduced urination?

Infertility Specialist
The query is about my wife. Over the last few days the volume of urination that she normally does has reduced. She is stating that she is feeling less colder. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: water intake Detailed Answer: Hi She is only 40 year old. I am sure she does not have any kidney disease so early. Since it is winter now it is common that all will drink less water and hence decreased volume of urine. Let her drink 4 litres of water and she will definitely have reduced urine output. There is nothing to be worried. Let me know if you have any more questions Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: What causes reduced urination? 5 hours later
Dear Dr Koregol, Thank you for the response. The issue here is that she is having a reduced urine output, although she has nearly 8 - 10 glasses of water in the day. Normally the Urine output was higher for the same quantity of water intake. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: measure Detailed Answer: Hi Urine output is generally low in winter. So she might be feeling low output. Since you are concerned you can measure the input and output. Let her drink 4 litres of water today. While urinating let her collect in a waste bottle with top of bottle cut. This way it is calculated in hospital. The urine output should be 30 ml per hour. Accordingly you can calculate and let me know if its less. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards