What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Tinea for 5 months now no creams seem to work balls are red at times normally triggered by heat and when I wake up
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea cruris Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, Tinea cruris if treated properly usually do not last for 5 months. We should think of other skin diseases as well. What are the treatments tried so far for it ? You have a feature to upload the images of the rash at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'. I usually treat Tinea which is not subsiding with creams with oral terbinafine 250 mg tablets once a day for 3 weeks along with a different antifungal cream than the one used earlier. Hope this helped, Take care.

Follow-up: What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat? 6 minutes later
Ive tried all the creams pretty much, i havent trie those tablets cause i have been told that they effect your liver, here is picture look forward to hearing from you there is no rash that would be considered bad

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not Tinea Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back, I saw the picture which you have uploaded. It does not look like Tinea. Scrotum is red and inflamed. It looks like intertrigo. The redness could also be due to application of steroid creams. I want to know whether you have applied any creams containing steroids. Please mention the names of all creams tried. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat? 5 minutes later
Hydrozole, canestan, resolve plus 1.0

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Brief Answer: ? Tinea Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back, Both hydrozole and resolve plus contain hydrocortisone which is a topical steroid. I will advice you to apply a plain antifungal cream like nizoral 2% twice a day. You should avoid as much as possible moisture, heat and friction (Rubbing). While taking bath do not wash the area vigorously with lot of soap and water. Dab the area completely dry after bath, not rub dry. Apply the cream after drying. You may apply a dusting power like Daktarin dusting powder or canesten dusting powder twice a day after applying cream to decrease moisture and friction. Continue this for two weeks. If you are not finding improvement after this regime , you should consider consulting a dermatologist. Hope I have answered your query. Take care and wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat? 8 hours later
Whats different about this cream?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Clarification Detailed Answer: Hello, Nizoral is a plain antifungal cream without any steroid. Steroids will temporarily decrease symptoms, but it will not cure a fungal infection completely. Steroid creams will decrease your immune response and your body will not be able to clear fungus successfully. Moreover it makes skin thin and red. You have been using creams containing steroid and I want you to try a plain antifungal cream without steroid. That is why I recommended Ketoconazole 2% cream. Ketoconazole is different from clotrimazole (Hydrozole) and Miconazole (Resolve plus). If the fungus is resistant to clotrimazole and miconazole , then trying the same won't be intelligent. So we should try a new antifungal medicine like ketoconazole. Hope I have answered your query, Take care.

Follow-up: What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat? 2 minutes later
Will this work

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Will it work ?! Detailed Answer: Hello, From the history and clinical picture I have recommended the above treatment with the belief that it works. I would not recommend something which I think won't work. One thing which I want to reinforce is the need to avoid moisture, heat and friction as much as possible. Follow the instructions mentioned earlier for it. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes redness of scrotum triggered by heat? 7 hours later
Thank you very much

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: You are welcome, Wish you good health.