What causes redness in arms after injecting heroin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my arm has turned red after injecting heroin right where i injected it its like a rash is it serious
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nothing serious. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. From your description it seems that you have developed superficial thrombophlebitis or a local reaction as a result of the i.v. needle inserted. It is inflammation of the superficial veins of the arm. For relief of your symptoms, you can follow some simple measures like- * Apply moist heat to reduce inflammation redness and pain * Keep pressure off of the area to reduce redness and decrease the risk of further damage * Raise the affected area to reduce swelling if any. You can have mild pain killers like acetaminophen for inflammation. Applying thrombophob ointment locally will also help to reduce the redness. If you develop fever, intense pain or the redness and swelling spreads further proximally then it indicates infection and spreading of the venous clot in which case you need to consult your physician immediately. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL