What causes redness and swelling in toes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My toes get red and swollen. I take cartia 120 plus Spartan. Also have trouble with lower back. Is it a so XXXXXXX e effect or from back?Also when I walk swelling goes down and redness goes away
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Side effect of cartia. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The red and swollen toes which improve with walking is likely to be due to a side effect of the medicine Cartia that you are taking. It is a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing the muscles of your heart and blood vessels. It can cause circulatory stasis in some patients. This is most likely a minor and self limiting side effect. It will improve gradually on its own. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL