What causes redness and swelling in frenulum underneath my tongue?
User rating for this question
My frenulum is really red, swollen and is purple/ dark near the gums underneath my tongue. I did not notice anything last night but i woke up this morning and was in quite a lot of pain. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like ulcer with mucosal inflammation Detailed Answer: Hello, In photo this looks like a early ulcer with mucosal inflammation.Its quiet common to get such ulcers. Few things you can try are an antimicrobial mouth rinse, a corticosteroid ointment, and non-prescription anesthetic solution.This will help relieve pain. Avoid any mouth irritants like spicy junk food, smoking, gums or alcohol. A short course of multivitamins can be taken as in many of my patients this is underlying cause. Also I can see a dental implant in the photo sent.Please check if that is causing irritation.Your dentist can help you with that. Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: What causes redness and swelling in frenulum underneath my tongue? 12 hours later
Today it is not as sore and the swelling seems to have gone down but now there is a white area above where it was swollen yesterday. Doesn't look like anything too serious but i just was wondering if that would come from it healing itself? Maybe it was slightly lacerated and now it is healing. I attached a picture. Do you think its anything serious?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later
Brief Answer: No, nothing looks serious. Detailed Answer: Yes, it is healing.White color is also due to healing.Inflammation seems reduced.So continue whatever treatment you are taking and it should be fine in day or two.
People also viewed
- What causes red wine tongue
- What causes tiny red spots on the tongue tip
- Can dr tichenor#39s peppermint mouthwash damages taste buds
- What causes frenulum tear
- What causes a swollen frenulum
- Treatment and cure for ateroma, traumatic fibrosis
- How to treat the soreness caused by a dental bridge
- Treatment and cure for latent tuberculosis infection
- Treatment and cure for specialist cancer
- Treatment and cure for eruptive xanthoma
- What is the cause and treatment for jaw pain
- What causes redness and swelling in frenulum underneath my tongue
- Suffering from tooth ache after a root canal
- Treatment and cure for male baldness
- What to do when crown comes off the front tooth