What causes redness and itching in the pubic area?

Hello doctor, I have recently experenced some itchyness in my pubic area. When i looked there was a red mark that was raised off the skin. The only pain i recive from it is when the skin is streched apart. I am attaching pictures for you to view as well
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. I have seen the attached image. It looks like intertrigo. Intertrigo is a red, macerated, itchy or burning rash caused due to friction, sweat, fungus etc. To treat the same Use steroid antifungal cream like clotromazole beclomethasone combination twice in a day Avoid wearing tight occlusive clothes. Keep the area well ventilated and dry. If itchy take tablet cetirizine. Hopefully in few days, it should resolve. Should there be any query, please feel free to write back. Take care
Follow-up: What causes redness and itching in the pubic area? 5 minutes later
Ok thank you for your responce. It is only in this one spot. It does not look like anything related to an STI does it? The only thing that worrys me is the location. I also
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Just because it is involving your groin area, it does not mean it is a sexually transmitted infection. It is not at all a sexually transmitted infection. Fungal infections, bacterial infections, intertrigo etc are common in friction prone, sweaty areas where the organism can thrive better(axilla, groins etc) For this rash, you don't even need to go for any investigation to rule out STI Hope this cleared your doubt. Take care