What causes red spots under the skin, like blood collection?

Nov 2013

what could cause red spots under the skin, like blood collection? I have petichiae? on my left thigh, and have only just noticed them after a shower. I have been bruising very easily; I got a bruise above my top lip from drinking from a water bottle yesterday. I've also had a bruised finger for 2 weeks that isn't getting much better. I haven't injured my thigh where the red spots are. I have been taking Valerian 2000 for sleep for 3 nights, I don't know if this could cause the spots and bruising. Thank you so much for answering.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The problems described by you refer to the bleeding under the skin- subcutaneous bleeding, referred to as petechiae (smaller ones) or purpurae (little bigger in size).
If it is spontaneous (without any injury), one should rule out conditions that increase the risk of bleeding.
The most common of them is low platelet count in the blood (called as thrombocytopenia). It can be easily diagnosed by a simple blood test.
Valerian (used for insomnia) is not reported to cause any such side effects.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM