What causes red splotches in arm pit?

I just discovered a very red splotch about 6 inches from my arm pit and a little to the back of it. It had a very thick white pus coming out of it. I applied pressure and got the puss out. I did not know it was there as there was no pain. It hurts a bit now but that is probably from me messing with it. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis skin Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now from the description, it looks like you had developed an infected skin lesion like folliculitis. Still it is important to have a look at the exact skin lesion before proceeding with its management. So it would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the exact skin lesion and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I would be able to help you more once I have a look at the pictures. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes red splotches in arm pit? 47 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis skin Detailed Answer: Hi I have seen the attached picture. Since the lesion is red and inflamed, it looks like a lesion of folliculitis. This is basically a bacterial infection of the root of the hair follicle. It is associated with pus discharge. Now first of all, it is essential to keep the affected area clean and dry. Clean it with lukewarm water twice a day and apply a topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin over it. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it. Wear cotton clothes so as to prevent any friction to the area. Hope you are not diabetic, since diabetics are more prone to such lesions. Get your blood glucose levels checked once if you have not done it recently. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any clarifications Dr Geetika Paul