What causes red patch on penis?

Jan 2014

I went to the emergency room about 5 months ago because I was worried about a red patch on the shaft of my penis. I thought it might be herpes but the after the doctor examined me she said it wasn't anything to worry about. Since then it has come back twice. I have enclosed a couple of pictures. what do you think?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more information+clearer/focused picture Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX What are symptoms associated with the red patch?is it itchy? Tell me about your sexual history? Are you married? Any history of extramarital sexual contact? Did you apply any cream last time it happened? If you can upload clearer pictures of the patch/area of concern it would be of great help. The pictures that you have uploaded are a little blurred and out of focus. thanks Regards
Follow-up: What causes red patch on penis? 1 hour later
I uploaded a better picture. It is not itchy . I just started putting some cortisone cream on it. That seems to help. I have not had any sexual contact with women for about 7 months. And when I went to the doctor that one time they gave me what they call the party pack to make sure I didn't have any sexually transmitted diseases.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lichen Simplex Chronicus Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks a lot for the new picture. Its indeed very clear Looking at the picture it is an ill-defined patch of erythema. Its dry but not scaly. The skin of the patch appears thick as compared to the surrounding normal skin (skin markings over the patch are prominent as compared to surrounding normal skin). I would keep a possibility of Lichen simplex chronicus(LSC). Itching is subjective, some patients having itching and some are not even bothered by it. It is definately not an STD. It may begin with something that rubs, irritates, or scratches the skin, such as clothing. Its usually chronic and might come back if not cured completely. I usually ask my patients of LSC to apply a moderately potent steroid twice daily like mometasone furoate for 2-4 weeks, then tapering it down to once daily for another 2 weeks and then further tapering it down to once every alternate days before finally stopping it. Hope this helps take care regards