What causes red line running along the sides of both feet with red blotchy patches in a baby?

General Surgeon
Question
My 20 month old baby has a squiggly red line running along the sides of both feet, with a few red blotchy patches near the toes and on the soles as well. One small one looks circular, about .5cm in diameter. The line seems to be in a slightly different spot today than yesterday - a different configuration and very slightly higher. (The formation looks a little like the trail of a snail.) When pressed, the area turns white. There are a few faint patches on the palms of her hands as well. She has no fever, a good appetite, sleeps well and is in good spirits. She doesn't touch her feet suggesting that anything is hurting. She had her shots a couple of weeks ago and a few new foods the other day. The lines/blotches aren't getting any redder, just changing position a bit. Any insight would be appreciated!
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Scabies Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day From your description given, there seems to be no cause of concern, as the lesion appears to be not of much cncern. Serpeginious lesion which blanch on pressure rules out Purpura as the cause. Erythematous lesion involving palm and soles, one of the possibility i could suggest is Scabies. Diagnosis of any skin lesion requires good visual examination. It would be helpful if you could send me a clinical photograph or alternatively you can consult a Pediatrician. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you happy and healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes red line running along the sides of both feet with red blotchy patches in a baby? 12 minutes later
Many thanks for your prompt response. I'm afraid I neglected to say that it isn't in any way raised or rash-like. It appears to be just under the skin. I had attached a couple of photos shortly after posting my query - please let me know if you require me to upload them again. (Two GPs have looked at it and they had no idea what to make of it.) I do have a follow up with a dermatologist in a couple of days, but it somehow doesn't seem to be a dermatological issue to me - in the sense that the skin itself is not in any way irritated and the reaction doesn't seem to be in response to something physically contacted. I suppose my fear is that it is circulatory or related to the blood - an allergic response perhaps?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be Scabies Detailed Answer: Greetings From your description given, and clinical picture provided by you , the lesion look like Sabies. Scabies is caused by burrowing and release of toxic or antigenic substances by the female mite Sarcoptes scabiei var. hominis. Classical borrows and serpeginous lesion especially involving hands and feet favor diagnosis of Scabies. It typically presents as lesion just below the skin as described by you. I would assure you that its very unlikely to be immunological or hematological. As previously mentioned by me, its unlikely to be purpura which is one of the manifestation of blood disorder. Scabies lesion usually involve hands and feets and children many of the times there may be no itching. If you carefully observe the lesion there seems to be no oedema or elevation , which goes against the diagnosis of Immunologial/circulatory. Rest be assured its nothing serious and its most probably Scabies which can be easily confirmed and managed. Diagnosis is often madeclinically but is confirmed by microscopic identification of mites, ova, and scybala in epithelial debris. Scrapings are most often positive when obtained from burrows or fresh papules. I would suggest you to consult your Dermatologist/Pediatrician for further management. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you and your family happy and healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes red line running along the sides of both feet with red blotchy patches in a baby? 8 minutes later
Many thanks again! That is reassuring and I very much appreciate your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take care Detailed Answer: Take care Wishing your little kid speedy recovery. Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCh