What causes red itchy bumps on burn scars?

My 5 year old son burned part of his hand & wrist about 4 months ago. Now he has developed red itchy bumps only on the scar areas. Is this common? What can we do until we get him in to see his doctor? His last appt was 2 months ago and has not had any problems until now.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eczematous skin changes, should settle soon Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Your son seems to have developed eczematous skin changes over the scarred areas. You need not worry since this will soon settle with treatment . You just need to apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected area twice a day . Do not apply any other cream or oil over it . If it is very itchy, you can give him oral antihistamine like benadryl . With treatment , the lesions should settle in a week to ten days time. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul