What causes recurring sore throat and enlarged tonsils after oral sex?

Hello, I am 18 years old,sexually active XXXXXXX man and I'd like to ask you some questions. I am extremely afraid of HIV and STDs. I give oral sex sometimes which is most of the times unprotected.The first time I did it was 4 months before.Some days after I did,I had a sore throat with swollen tonsils.I went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics.After 5 days of antibiotics,the situation was clearly better,I did not had any sore throat but my tonsils were still a bit swollen.Then,I went back to my doctor and she gave me antebiotics again for 4-5 days and then my tonsils became normal again. Could thay have been a StD??I've researched a lot about STDs and I'd also like to know in the case that I had a STD back then like gonorrhea or chlamydia,did that clear upon its own? Thank you very much for your answer in adance
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: May be a STD. Need Immunoassay to rule out HIV. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It seem to a bacterial infection. Because the sore throat and enlarged tonsils get better and cured after a course of Antibiotics. Yes. It may be a Sexually Transmitted infections like Gonococcal or Chlamydia infection in pharynx. It is a bacterial infection caused by N. gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis. It can also sore throat and tonsillar enlargement. Both can be completely CURED BY ANTIBIOTICS. HIV usually cause prodromal flu like symptoms fever, sore throat, cold in acute infection phase. Thus it cannot be ruled out. But you can easily rule out HIV infection by simple antibody screening test (immunoassay), which tests for the antibodies that your body makes against HIV. These tests can find HIV as soon as 3 weeks after exposure to the virus. Currently Home test called the OraQuick In-Home HIV Test provides rapid results in the home. The testing procedure involves swabbing your mouth for an oral fluid sample and using a kit to test it. Results are available in 20 minutes. If you test positive, you will need a follow-up test. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.