What causes recurring shooting pain on thighs and knees?

Hi I have had for several weeks a recurring shooting pain at top of right thigh, extending down toward knee. Often felt while sitting and hampers walking if it occurs when I'm on the move. Feels like a nerve issue. What could it possibly be? Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes to the pain at the top of right thigh... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX The pain you are having might be related to: - arthritis of spinal cord or thigh joints - recent trauma/injury of thigh or spinal cord - lifting heavy weight - sciatica I suggest to do: - X-ray of the spinal cord (lumbar section) - X-ray of knee and thigh - abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation. Depending on the test results, specific treatment will be prescribed. Please bare in mind to ensure you are not pregnant before running the X-ray tests to prevent damages to the new baby. To relieve the pain, I advise to: - avoid lifting heavy weights - take oral acetaminophen/ibuprofen - do massaging of pain area with olive/lavender oil - apply otc analgesic cream to the pain area - apply warm clothing to the pain area. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana