What causes recurring cold and cough with throat pain?

I suffer from cold and cough very frequently. Cold and cough gets cured in around 3-4 days, but sour throat remains for a longer period, atleast 3-4 weeks. Though nothing comes out when I cough, but my throat is under a lot of pressure and pain due to it. This occurs to me very frequently during any kind of season change, even from summers to rainy season.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: explaining possibilities and tests needed Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query There are two main possibilities I would like to consider in such a case. The first I would like to consider is chronic sinusitis and the second I would like to consider is allergic reaction. The chances are high that you have a chronic sinusitis, and so you develop recurrent cough and cold from an unresolved source of infection- the infected air sinuses in the skull. I would suggest you test an x ray PNS waters view to confirm this possibility.Meanwhile try steam inhalation 4 times a day. The second option is allergies. There may be possible allergen in the air around you. This is especially possible in a congested and polluted population area like Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon. There is also a possibility of some allergen or cloth allergy. To make things simple, a possibility of allergy needs to be ruled out and so I would suggest a test of serum IgE. There are other tests, but this helps tell us if we are on the right track, and then the rest can follow. Another common possibility I would like to discuss is acid peptic disease or simply put gastritis/ acidity. It is now known that if you have acidity, the possibility of long standing cough is possible. Ideally we should go for a UGI Endoscopy. But since its an invasive procedure, I usually suggest to my patients to start medicines of the group proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this) Dr Saumya Mittal, MD