What causes recurring chest infection in a baby?

My baby has been suffering with a chest infection for 5 weeks. It was almost cleared last week after 5 days of antibiotics but it returned within two days of stopping them. And she is getting worse every day. She has had diarrhea and is not eating much.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: In such a case we have to reassess the patient. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to healthcare magic. After taking the antibiotics there is no permanent relief, one has to revise the diagnosis . Couh persisting for 5 weeks and no relief with antibiotics TB infection should be kept in mind. Thorough investigation must be taken up in those lines and diagnosis confirmed or ruled out. Even if it is not TB, decide whether correct antibiotic given in correct dose and for required duration. Without seeing the patient and without examining it is difficult to say the exact diagnosis from history alone. Age of the patient , diagnosis and antibiotic used and the dose were not mentioned in your query. Better consult a pediatrician and if you have already consulted go for a second opinion. Hope this answer suits your purpose. Please feel free to ask further queries if required. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.
Follow-up: What causes recurring chest infection in a baby? 39 minutes later
My daughter is 7 months old and the antibiotics was amoxicillin 125mg x 3 for 5 days. The infection was almost cleared after the end of the antibiotics (after 5 days) but it represented after 2 days. I have ambroxol hydrochloride from the pharmacy 15/5ml, is this something I may try with her. I have read literature to advise that it can assist even in new born babies but there is no dosage information for babies under 1 year. If this is regarded as safe then how much could I give her. Her weight is 8kg.
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 11 hours later
Brief Answer: AMBROXOL IS SAFE FOR YOUR BABY. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to health care magic with your follow up question. Ambroxol is safe for your baby. It is available as drops. Give 10 drops every 8th hourly. AMOXYCILLIN DOSE IS 50 MG/KG IS ALMOST SUFFICIENT DOSE. As the response is not permanent better change to Roxid in consultation with your doctor. the dose is 2.5 mg/kg/dose to be given for 5 days. Hope this answer serves your purpose. Please feel free to ask me any more queries. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.