What causes recurrent cough and cold?

Hi, I have 2.7 year old son. He has repeated cough and cold from last 2 months. every week he was given an antibiotic with cough and cold medicines for 5 days.after each treatment he fell sick again in 2-3 days. since last 3 weeks he had very high fever only on every sixth day in night which led to febril convulsion last sunday night. He was again given antibiotics and cold and cough medicines.He was ok till treatment lasts. Now he again has cough and cold with some time mild fever in night. One of parent family has history of asthma.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: allergy is one possibility Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. I can understand your concern. Recurrent cough could be because of several causes. One of the important causes that comes to my mind (since there is a family history of bronchial asthma) is allergy. If there is associated history of fever one should also think of other causes like tuberculosis, foreign body etc. Your child should be investigated further and antibiotic courses may not suffice. A blood count and CRP will help in identifying if there is any infection. A X ray chest may help to identify the causes of cough. Mantoux may help to identify if tuberculosis is the cause of that cough. I suggest you to consult a Pediatrician who may suggest you the above mentioned investigations after a physical examination. Further treatment should be based on the cause that is identified. Continue to ask further queries as required. Hope this helps. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Follow-up: What causes recurrent cough and cold? 7 hours later
I recently had xhest X-ray: its is normal Blood test CBC: WBC are slightly high, neutrohils are high Blood culture : - ve widal test: -ve urine test: -ve, traces of bacteria
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be Bronchial asthma related. Detailed Answer: Hi, Since there is a family history of bronchial asthma recurrent cough could be related to the same. You mentioned that the urine is showing traces of bacteria. Was a urine culture and sensitivity done? (this could indicate a co-exiting urinary tract infection). Was a mantoux test done?