What causes recurrent cold and cough through out the year?

Hi, I normally suffer from cold and cough through out the year, mainly this time of the year. I'm likely to travel to Boston during Feb where it is expected to be very cold, please let me know if there are vaccination that can be taken before my visit to control cold and cough. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Life style modifications and vaccines Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic! The nagging issue of recurrence of cold is bothering you just like so many people round the globe. The first thing I would like to tell you is that the Persistent cold is not a disease at all. It is a phenomenon, a maladjustment disorder with environment. Observe carefully you would find a cause that is bringing the problem again and again. Most common culprit is sudden change in temperature. Take an example- you are sleeping in the night, do not keep yourself covered and get cold. Solution is to ensure a bit thick donned top to bottom cover night suit. Similar situation arises when one moves out from warm room to outside and one is not well clad so sudden change in temperature. There may be a habit of not taking enough water before going to bed- gets thirsty early morning, drinks large amount of water in one go, gets cold due to sudden change in temperature. One may love going out in air immediately after bath to enjoy cooling and catches cold. These examples may look boring but they are culprits in more than half of the persons who suffer cold round the year. Viruses are well known cause of cold but not in such cases, this type of problem is called vasomotor rhinitis. There is a vaccine that prevents against flu and another is against pneumococcal sore throats and pneumonias, the latter is called Antipneumococcal vaccine. They are effective in reducing severity and frequency. One simple remedy is give a combination like Sinarest/Wikoryl tablet stat with the first symptom and take rest in bed for half an hour, the problem would not increase beyond. Try these options and you will forget the cold. If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you. Wish you a great health!