What causes recurrance of Hemorrhoids?

Hello Doctor. I have been diagnosed with having external hemorrhoids. The doctor I am consulting told me it is treatable without surgery. I wanted to know that will there be a propensity of it returning after I am cured without surgery. I am 23 years old. Is this too young an age to have such an ailment. Also, what steps can I take to avoid it in the future?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hemorrhoids can recur after conservative treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. There are three veins present around the anal opening. Dilatation of either of them (or all) are called hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids occur due to increase in the pressure in these veins. Straining while passing stools; and, chronic constipation are the commonest causes. There are three modes of non-surgical treatment of significant hemorrhoids : conservative management; application of rubber band around the hemorrhoids; or, injecting a sclerosing agent inside the hemorrhoids, which closes the affected veins. They are certainly likely to recur after conservative treatment, if no precautions are taken. Precautionary measures to prevent recurrence are : AVOID constipation; take high fiber diet and plenty of water; and, avoid straining while passing stools. THAT'S ALL is required. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal