What causes rectal bleeding with bloody mucous during pregnancy?

I'm 23 years old and 18 weeks pregnant. I've been having a lot of rectal bleeding, along with bloody mucous, and sometimes just straight blood. Its almost every time I use the bathroom. I am not constipated. I've been having this issue for a month now. 2 days ago I had cramping in my lower abdomen that lasted 6 hours straight. It hurt so bad I wanted to cry. The OB said the cramps sounded something intestinal.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and I agree with your OG opinion. The rectal bleeding could be related to intestinal problems, most probably due to hemorrhoids. They are common during pregnancy. I'd advise to: - drink more water - have foods high in fiber to soften the stool - consult proctologist to evaluate your current situation and start the right treatment. - do culture of stool for bacteria/candida - perform examination of stool for ova/parasites All the best to you and to the newest little one! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What causes rectal bleeding with bloody mucous during pregnancy? 23 hours later
What the chances of it being hemorrhoids or something else? Is this something I could possibly just change my diet up some and just avoid the proctologist?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. Usually, hemorrhoids are normal in pregnancy. Making changes to your diet will alleviate your symptoms. However, I still suggest to examine your stool for ova/parasites, culture for candida to exclude bowel infections. Wishing you fast recovery. If you have other concerns I would be glad to assist you further. Dr.Benard