What causes rash along with respiratory symptoms and fever in a child?

General Surgeon
Hi. My son is 1 year old. Weighs 8 kgs. About 10 days ago he was unwell. Irritability and running nose. Our pediatric diagnosed a ear infection. Gave us cetirizine 5mg. 5ml for 5 days along with crocin drops. Since there was not much improvement the next day he changed the medication to ibugesic plus 5ml three times for 2 days. And suspn. Advent/clamp. 1 bottle 5ml twice a day. Post this he was getting better and sick again. Getting really cranky and not eating food properly. Also he developed some spots all over his body. He again asked us to continue ibugesic and cetirizine. Till today every other day he gets unwell and some days he is fine. We are continuing to give ibugesic 5 ml. Is it right to give him so much of medication.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Ibugesic can be safely continue if he still has fe Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Presence of rash , along with respiratory symptoms and fever point towards Viral infection as the most probable diagnosis. It does take time for recovery from symoms. There is no cause of concern if the following points are there 1. Excepting feeds well and sleeps for 1 to 2 hour after feed 2. Is Afebrile and body temperature is normal 3. Respiratory rate is normal and no huried breathing and prominence of accessory muscle of respiration like flaring of nose and neck muscle As the child is not well since so long, one needs to rule out any other significant things If you notice any deviation from any of the points mentioned above, then do not hesitate to contact your Pediatrician. Give Syrup Ibugesic plus- the right dose of Paracetamol in it is 10mg/kg per dose that is 80mg of Paracetamol. Give it only when there is fever. I would suggest you the following 1. Keep the baby warm and in dust free atmosphere 2. If there is running nose and discharge-- Normal Saline Nasal drops available under various brand names will be helpful. Two drops in each nostril each time, 4- 6 times a day 3. Chest Physiotherapy and Asthalin/Normal Saline Nebulization will be really helpful-- it will relieve the congestion and ease up the airway. 4. Decoction of milk - Boil Milk 1 cup + 10leaves of tulsi+ 1/2 spoon turmeric + 1 black pepper+ little ginger bring it to boil and feed him warm with a spoon. Will help him relieve congestion of throat. 5. If he is still running fever it's advisable to add Antibiotic Like Azithromycin. If there is no improvement, he will require Complete Hemogram and Chest X-ray. I hope it helped Wishing your son speedy recovery. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes rash along with respiratory symptoms and fever in a child? 20 hours later
thanks for the info. hopefully he recovers soon and we stop any medication. also would like to son's birth weight was 2.3 kgs. and now at 1 year 10 days he is only 8 kgs. he is not adding much weight. he is quiet lean and tall. when we check his growth chart his weight line is constant. but his height is increasing very well. we asked our pediatric if any thing is required. he suggest us to stop giving him water and instead of water give him milk all day. does this help. also he asked us to give him lacktrum powder 1 spoon a day in milk to increase his immunity. while talking to our family doctor he suggested to give him liv52 drops. 5 drops 10 min before his meals. it helps in increasing his appetite. he is a little fussy eater. so I m confused. Firstly would like to know is his weight normal or is it something to be concerned about. Secondly is it ok to give lacktrum power and liv52 drops. thirdly is it ok to stop water completely and give only milk. please advice.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Weight is within normal limits Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings of the day The birth weight weight tripples by one year of age . Ideally his weight at one year of age should be, 2.3* 3= 6.9kg. So weight of 8kg it's perfectly alright and there is no cause of concern. It's ideally recommended to have home food for baby, I personally don't recommend any commercial preparation. Water is essential fluid and should also be.given plain, so I personally recommended giving water one hour after feeds. It helps body excrete the solute load. Apart from milk based feeds,it's time for giving semisolid and solid feeds, as they will help in growth Few suggestion 1. Smashed banana 2. Wheat porridge 3. Chapati softened by addition of milk 4. Boiled eggs Would suggest you to avoid Bakery products and refined wheat flour, instead whole wheat is more nutritious. Wishing your baby a quick recovery If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Consultant Pediatric Surgeon