What causes rash above th eyelid with redness,itchiness,pelling and burning?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I HAVE A RASH ABOVE AND ON MY EYELID. IT COMES AND GOES BUT SEEMT TO BE WORSENING. ITS RED, PUFFY, ICHY, BURNY, MOIST THEN PEELS, THE OTHER MORNING MY WHOLE EYELID AND ABOVE WAS SWOLLEN ALL DAY. ???
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need More Information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. -Do you suffer from rash/scaling elsewhere like scalp, sides of nose, chest, back? -What all products do you use on face? cosmetics, soaps etc? -Do you apply nail polish? I would keep possibilities of either Seborrhoeic dermatitis OR Allergic dermatitis OR Irritant dermatitis. Seborrhoeic dermatitis may involve other body sites as well like scalp(dandruff), eyebrows, sides of nose, chest and back. It commonly presents as red, scaly, itchy rash at these sites. Allergic contact dermatitis is common on eyelid secondary to cosmetics, nail polish, eye drops etc. Eyelid skin is very delicate and can easily get involved as a result. Dry skin is prone to Irritant dermatitis from soaps, face washes etc take care regards

Follow-up: What causes rash above th eyelid with redness,itchiness,pelling and burning? 7 minutes later
I used hairspray occasionally but everyone always tells me I touch my eyes too much constantly so maybe it came from my hands could it be a fungus or bacterial I have no other issues in other areas of my body. also what are the treatments for the two types of dermatitis

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Topical steroid cream Detailed Answer: Hi. If i were your treating doctor i would have want you to apply a moderately potent topical steroid like fluticasone twice daily for 7-10 days. An OTC antihistamine like cetrizine will help you with the itching associated with it. Is it on both sides? Or is it on one side? Touching the eyes frequently is not as much a reason as is using nail cosmetics. Nail cosmetic products can cause dermatitis on the delicate skin of eyes. take care regards

Follow-up: What causes rash above th eyelid with redness,itchiness,pelling and burning? 6 minutes later
it started on one side and now is migrating to the other. what hydrocort Val. .2 be strong enough

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hydrocortisone is mild compared to fluticasone Detailed Answer: Hi. Hydrocortisone is a mild steroid. It is effective and safe to use on the delicate skin of eye. Though fluticasone would work faster than hydrocortisone because it is more potent than hydrocortisone. regards