What causes raise it SGPT and SGOT levels?

My cousin33 years aged has 1700 SGPT and 1140SGOT he is very bad since 10 days, his best friend present the sama case since 10 days also. Is it a toxic hepatiti
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Hello! I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).This much increase in SGOT and SGPT are due to acute viral hepatitis or drug induced. I will advise you to visit a Hepatologist who will evaluate for any sign or symptoms of liver failure, and may advise tests for Hepatitis A, B, and E and Prothrombin time, LFT and ultrasound abdomen I hope I have answered your query and this will help you.
Follow-up: What causes raise it SGPT and SGOT levels? 15 hours later
AgHBs was negative and doctor told there is hepatitis C without serology. Today, he has 960SGOT and 150 SGPT, he didnt ask for PT
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 days later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Sorry for delay I could not understand what you have mentioned or what your doctor has told you ----There is Hepatitis C without serology. If Hepatitis C is positive which rarely causes acute viral hepatitis spontaneously resolves in very less number of patients and progresses to chronic viral hepatitis. So I will advise you to get repeat serology after three months if still it is positive then he will require treatment for the same