What causes pulsating sensation in spinal cord?

Nov 2013

I am continuing to have what feels like my spinal cord pulsating when I lay down or change positions. It's very odd. I have told my neurologist about it and she thought tight muscles due to stress. It just doesn't feel like that to me. Migraines don't seem to accompany it. More of a dull ache at base of skull. Any other thoughts? I definitely feel that something is not right.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back with more details. Normal neurological examination and reassurance by your neurologist is a good news. However, as you said, it needs to be investigated to find out the case. As I suggested, doing an MRI of brain including cranio-vertebral junction would help us in finding out any problems. In addition, you can also check for vitamin B12 levels in blood, which can also cause similar symptoms, it it is low. Doing physiotherapy including neck extension exercises and IFT/ultrasound would help you get relief from symptoms. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: