Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes puffiness in the scrotum?

General Surgeon
About a month and a half ago I started having perineal soreness that felt like it was radiating to the spermatic cord. I went to the urgent care about two weeks ago and they ran a urinalysis, prostate check, and hernia check. All came back negative. I went to my GP about a week ago and he said there was a little bit of inflammation in my spermatic cord and prescribed me Levaquin. He didn't run any other checks. Over the last week I've been eating a lot of garlic for its antibiotic properties. Now my scrotum feels oily and a little puffy, but the soreness is gone. I haven't taken the levaquin yet, as it has a black box warning and when I talked to my doctor, he dismissed my worries and wouldn't prescribe something else. Any ideas what this could be?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Epidydimis, testis inflammation or varicocele. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such symptoms can indicate epidydimis, testis inflammation or varicocele. Cancer should be always ruled out in case of such symptoms. Varicocele should give palpable noodles like structures along the spermatic cord. Cancer can be palpated as a hard lump (but the pain can be the only noticeable symptom). For sure you can not leave it alone. Please visit urologist and start with testis ultrasound. Antibiotic might be necessary in case of inflammation. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. regards.