Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes prostrate enlargement with retention of urine after passing urine?

hello doc, i am 50 yr old male, due 2 frequent urination got my ultra sound done. the result is enlarged liver 16.9 cm, in right mid calvicular normal in liver. in urinary bladder there are few polypiod leasions in region of trigone,largest in rt para median loc measuring 9 into 7mm.pre void vol 290mm &post void residue 44mm. prostate is 37 into 42 into36 mm =29.4cc. rest ok what treatment i require 2 take & how serious is the problem
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: explaining usg and suggesting further evaluation Detailed Answer: hello XXXXXXX I am Dr Saumya Mittal. First, and before I discuss your ultrasound, i would like to make a few comments. Having looked at your ultrasound report and with the complaint of frequency of micturition, I would suggest a urine routine and urine culture. Another common disease which causes frequency of micturition is diabetes. So I would suggest a FBS just to be on the safer side. Now discussing your ultrasound.Your ultrasound is suggestive of mild hepatomegaly, with prostrate enlargement with retention of urine after passing urine. Prostrate is like a bag around the urine tube. When it grows, it causes pressure on the urine pipe, called urethra. And therefore some urine gets left behind in the urinary bladder. Therefore there is recurrence of feeling like urinating. And retention of urine can cause infection. Now the problem is that just the ultrasound report is not enough. We would need to look at the levels of serum PSA as well to know what type of prostrate enlargement you have. Some of the treatment can be informed accordingly. As for the polypoidal lesions, you need a cystoscopic examination to know exactly what is going on there. So as of now I suggest you test LFT (for hepatomegaly), Serum PSA (for prostatomegaly), FBS, Urine routine and culture. Your weight and blood pressure may be needed too. Please let me know the reports and I can help you further. And I would also like to know if you have any prior medical/surgical problems. Hoping to hear from you with the reports and further queries. Dr Saumya Mittal