What causes prominent blue vein on the back?

I just noticed a blue vein on the back of each of my 4 1/2 year old son's knees. This has never been visible before. Why would this happen & should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I understand your concern, I need to know a few more details in order to come to a better conclusion 1. Is he active in outdoor games like cycling, etc? 2. Does he complain of leg pain? 3. Is the skin over the vein normal? or is it red/ bruised? 4. Any recent history of fall? 4. Any change in the way he is walking lately? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What causes prominent blue vein on the back? 6 minutes later
He is not in any organized sports but her certainly runs & jumps a lot. He often jumps on the bed & on & off of our sofa. He did complain of leg pain a couple of nights ago at bedtime, but he never said anything else about it. Skin looks completely normal..just pale as usual. He is very pale so I've always seen veins on his feet & on his chin if I look closely. But these 2 on the backs of his knees were pretty noticeable from a couple feet away. No history of fall & no change in the way he is walking.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal Detailed Answer: Hello Judging by the detailed history given by you it sounds normal. Veins often become prominent in active children as more blood supply is required to supply the muscles most often used, the same reason why body builders have more prominent veins than normal individuals. There is nothing to worry about and no treatment is required I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish you and your family good health regards