What causes prolonged dark coloured spot on hand?

Question
Hello Dr, I have notice a dark coloured spot on my left hand. I have been having this from the last 6 years. I want to know if this is Kaposi Sarcoma
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be a benign lesion Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Kindly provide some more details on the condition for better understanding. How big is the lesion now? How big was it at onset ? What is the rate of its growth ? Do you have itching or pain associated with the spot? Have you used any medication for the same? Its less likely for a cancer or a sarcoma to exist for 6 years without getting complicated. I suspect it to be a benign lesion of trivial danger. Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: What causes prolonged dark coloured spot on hand? 6 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thank you for the response. Additional details requested by you are mentioned below. How big is the lesion now? Less than quarter of an inch How big was it at onset ? pretty much the same size, perhaps little small than what it was before What is the rate of its growth ? It has been very very slow Do you have itching or pain associated with the spot? No pain and no itching Have you used any medication for the same? Since no complications were there i didnt take any medications/consult a doctor so far. Thank You and look forward for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Nevus Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the information. Based on the info provided I suspect the lesion to be a bening condition called Nevus. This needs no treatment unless it starts growing faster. Diagnosis can be confirmed by a biopsy test. You can get it done with any Dermatologist you consult. Do attach an image of the lesion here if possible. I shall be much sure if I have a look at the lesion. Regards,