What causes prolonged and persistent headaches?

Question
Hi Doctor....maybe you can help me. I'm suffering from headaches from December 2013 until now. I can feel there's a lot of pressure on my head sometimes and my head feels irritated. I went for an eye test but I can't wear my glasses or even an XXXXXXX band. As soon as my head pics up that there's something on my head it's getting worse. Since Friday a new thing started. When my head is itchy and I'm scratching I can feel the pain inside. No matter where I scratch. I went to a doctor and they gave me medication for 10 days, it didn't work. Went to another doctor then they gave me medication for bladder infection and now they are giving me medication again today. I don't know what this can be but it's getting me under and it's affecting my moods because I'm always down and irritated because of this and it's frustrated having this every day. I don't know what to do anymore. Please can you help?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need a little help from you first ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Causes for headaches can be numerous ma'am, and in most cases headaches are only a symptom and not the main condition. I would like to first ask you a few more questions to better understand your condition. Your co-operation would greatly help. -Which medications were you prescribed for the headache that did not help? -What are the other symptoms you are experiencing along with the headaches? I ask this because your doctors diagnosed a bladder infection (which should have symptoms of burning micturition, fever, chills, etc.). Please list all the symptoms you are experiencing ma'am -Do you have any balance related trouble? -Do you have any nausea, vomiting? -Do you have blurred vision? -Symptoms like sensitivity to light, noise, etc? -Are you on any other medications right now? (eg. birth control, implants, etc.) -Do you experience these symptoms at a specific time of your menstrual cycle? -How would you rate your hydration level and your intake of food? Are you trying to lose weight? I understand there are quite a few questions here ma'am. But this is only because headaches are a very general and common symptom. And to be able to relate them to some condition, or rule them out as a solo problem, a lot of information and history is required. I look forward to your kind response in order to help you further. My best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes prolonged and persistent headaches? 13 minutes later
Thank you for your reply doctor I'm giving the answers for the following questions -Which medications were you prescribed for the headache that did not help? **I can't remember the medications names but the one that I'm getting again today is Trepiline and Anoxie (something like that) -What are the other symptoms you are experiencing along with the headaches? I ask this because your doctors diagnosed a bladder infection (which should have symptoms of burning micturition, fever, chills, etc.). Please list all the symptoms you are experiencing ma'am ** The reason why they gave me antibiotics for bladder infection is because the picked it up in my urine. They said it a lower grade bladder infection because it's not burning at all. I didn't even feel that I have bladder infection. -Do you have any balance related trouble? ** I only get dizzy sometimes but not really of balance -Do you have any nausea, vomiting? ** I'm not vomiting at all. I was vomiting now and again in December but that was it. -Do you have blurred vision? ** I do kind of that's why I went for the eye test and they gave me glasses -Symptoms like sensitivity to light, noise, etc? **Yes....I can't handle the morning sun anymore when driving to work. As soon as the sun shines on my face/head I get sharp pains in my head -Are you on any other medications right now? (eg. birth control, implants, etc.) **I was on XXXXXXX but not anymore because the doctor thought it may be that but I'm of it for about a month now -Do you experience these symptoms at a specific time of your menstrual cycle? **No -How would you rate your hydration level and your intake of food? Are you trying to lose weight? **I'm not trying to loose weight at all. Although I do have a spastic colon and struggle with my stomach but this is going on since 2009 so its an old thing. The headaches only started in December 2013 Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm so frustrated with these pains every day and it's causing troubles in my relationship as well because I'm moody and irritated every day. It's just I'm so tired to sit with this pain :-(

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the help; a few recommendations Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Thank you so much for being patient with me and replying to all my queries. First of all, the medications you are on will not help to relieve the type of headache that you have. My recommendations are the following: - Betahistine 8 mg tablet to be taken twice a day - Propanolol 20 mg 4 times a day - CT scan of the head at your convenience Based on your symptoms, there are two possibilities that I am currently suspecting. Either the symptom of vertigo which can be related to other conditions as well, and/or migraine headaches. I have suggested medications for both these conditions. I have also recommended a CT scan of your head as both these conditions are related to other causes which can be easily diagnosed through a CT scan of the head. Please visit your doctor and request him/her to prescribe these medications. Try them for a while 4-6 weeks, and let me know if you experience an improvement with them. Also keep yourself well hydrated, and avoid direct exposure to sunlight. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. I would be more than happy to help you with any further clarifications, keep in touch ma'am. Best of luck.

Follow-up: What causes prolonged and persistent headaches? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much I will definitely contact my doctor and ask for those medications....anything to make this headaches better and will also talk to them about the CT scan. Thank you for your time I really appreciate it. I will use that and contact you again after 4-6 weeks. Have a wonderful day

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome ma'am :) Detailed Answer: It is my pleasure entirely. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch. As long as my patients recover and are satisfied with the treatment they have received, my work is done and my day is made. Wishing you nothing but the best.